Saturday, September 5, 2009

An upholstered headboard and that pesky frame

My friend/co-worker Stephanie and I decided we wanted to make an upholstered headboard this summer, and since this was the last free weekend before school starts we figured it was now or never! It is actually a really simple process and I LOVE how it turned out! We more or less used this tutorial except instead of foam (which would have cost $100+!!!) we used a couple layers of that egg-carton style mattress topper (the smooth side out). Even though we used the same process our 2 headboard look so different because of the difference in fabric. Mine was leather-ish and Steph used a heavy cotton and then we tufted it. You can see how her fabulous headboard turned out here.



(The flash made it look much lighter than it actually is)

And remember my clown/frame project that didn't look just right? Well, with the decorative help of my mother (and Hobby Lobby) this is how I fixed it!
SO much better!
If you can't tell, those are little crystal drawer pulls! and hanging is an A-for Andrus, a crystal angel, and some antique looking keys.



Oh, and PS. I got to go home to Mesa a week or so ago to help my Dad out at work and I got to see my friends! Jay Tucker, Todd Kitchen, Dane Larsen, and Jessica Lumsden (from top to bottom, left to right). It was so fun to get to hang out with everyone, I miss all the fun times we had back in "The Day"!

3 comments:

Taralynn and Kory said...

LOVE your headboard!

Rachel said...

I LOVE IT! It turn out so classy and looks store bought quality/professional-you know what I mean right? Any ways great job!

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

Holy Guacamole! That is awesome!!! You totally kicked my tutorial up a major notch!
Great tip on the egg crate foam!